1. Herbs are expensive. Growing them isn’t. Herbs produce a big harvest in small spaces and are mostly hardy plants which makes them ideal for younger gardeners.
2. Boredom prevention. Kids don’t need a lot a free time. It turns into wasted time quickly. Idle hands and all…
3. Their own space. Everyone needs a little space of their own. Everyone. My 10’x20′ fenced in garden is my space. It’s room to make decisions and to control something. Depending on how much “freedom” you allow your daughters, a garden can be huge release and a place to prove themselves, so to speak.
4. It’s a win-win. Growing her own herbs or vegetables will encourage your daughter to be active in the kitchen. The sense of accomplishment when your daughter grows something will only be compounded by harvesting and preparing it.
5. Industry. With a little study they can easily learn some basic natural first aid and/or engineer their own household cleaners that are far more family friendly than commercial cleaners. With a bit of entrepreneur spirit your daughter could use her garden to design her own cosmetics or bath supplies.
7. Tea. Fresh tea almost all year round. Tea party, anyone?
8.Herbs come with tons of history. Trace a few roots and there you have it, a unit study. Do the same with science. Between the bugs, butterflies and plants you’ll have a hard time not learning some science.
9. Herb gardening instills responsibility, while engaging the productive and fun side of chores.
10. It’s something you can do with your daughter. Getting dirty, investing a little blood, sweat and tears into something that is important to her is a priceless opportunity for you to bond with your daughter. Nothing binds hearts closer than working together.
If you have a daughter between the ages of “no longer eating dirt” and “asking for an iPhone” I can’t think of one good reason not to get her started with her own garden.
You can the book I wrote, Grow and Use Culinary Herbs, as part of the Ultimate Healthy Living Bundle. Not only will you get my book, but you’ll get $1037 worth of ebooks, products and you get to be part of an interactive online conference all for $29.97!!!